About Gary S. Reiter, M.D.
Gary S. Reiter, M.D. is a second generation ophthalmologist who has practiced at the same location in Newport Beach for over 25 years. Dr. Reiter is committed to providing a caring, individualized approach to the diagnosis and treatment of skin and eye disease without regard to race, gender or nationality. Using his background as a mathematician, physicist and medical doctor, Dr. Reiter has helped thousands of patients achieve their goal of better skin, vision and ocular health.
Dr. Reiter has used surgery and laser treatment for skin and eye health for over 30 years. He is a big proponent of minimally invasive laser surgery. These treatments exchange the incapacitating side effects of the “one and done” procedure for those that enable patients to attend social events the night of surgery. These are true lifestyle procedures.
- Bachelor of Arts in Mathematical Physics. University of Colorado at Boulder
- Doctor of Medicine. University of California, Irvine
- Medical and Surgical Internship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Weill-Cornell Medical Center, New York City
- Resident in Ophthalmology. University of California
Dr. Reiter is an ardent animal lover. He and his wife, Karen, have four cats. He was on the gymnastics team at the University of Colorado and coached gymnastics at the University of California, Irvine during medical school. Dr. Reiter is a classically trained guitarist and has been playing since the age of five.
Meet Karen Swanson, RN, BS, MSN, Laser Aesthetitian and Office Manager
Karen has been involved in ophthalmic and dermatological nursing since 1986. She is knowledgeable in all aspects of the office and surgical care of patients. She is a highly competent nurse and quality professional who also has extensive experience in organizational Performance Improvement, Risk Management and Patient Safety. She is extremely caring and interested in all patients who enter the practice.
She performs laser aesthetic procedures with skill and sensitivity.
- Registered Nursing Degree, Providence School of Nursing Mobile, Alabama
- Bachelor of Science in Biology with a minor in Marine Biology, Loyola Marymount University Los Angeles, California
- Masters of Science in Nursing, University of Phoenix
- Commander, Nurse Corps, United States Navy Reserves
- Active Duty Navy from 1973 until 1976
- Naval Reservist from 1973 until Present
- Veteran of Vietnam War, Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom
Karen enjoys raising Bonsai trees, gardening, and playing the flute. She is active in Friends of Orange County Homeless Pets (a dog and cat animal rescue), and loves all animals. She mentors high school students who are examining careers in the health care industry. She hopes to inspire excellence in the next generation of health care professionals.